Monday 6 July 2009

People I like

People try not to judge others, but we all do. A few days ago I was sitting on the train when I realised I think I know the way in which I judge people, when I first see them.

I judge people by whether or not they look like they are staying with or trying to break out of their allotted socio-economic place in life. You can tell, by body language, posture, expression on their face, or the way they speak relative to their apparent education.

On that train you may also see the relatively poor father of five, going to work a crap job, but he's dressed in the best suit he can afford, contemplating the day ahead. He wants to get that next promotion, and is thinking about what flowers to get his wife. He wants to get to the next level - even if it means being at the bottom of that next level.

But right next to him is the guy of the same age, same background, who has the same amount of money, but is dressed in tattier clothes, texting away on his cellphone, shouting at his buddy. He appears happy to be at the top of the lower level. Why? Because it's the top. He's happy there.

People who are prepared to constantly be at the bottom of a strata, be it socially or in their career are normally the ones moving up that quickly. Those who are out of their comfort zone most are learning the most.

People impress and interest me if they look like they're making an effort to get to whatever their next level is, or to be out of their comfort zone in some way all the time. How else do you learn unless you're at the bottom? For me it plays a big part in informing your general attitude towards life.

"A great man is always willing to be little." Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment